Monday, September 12, 2005

The Finality of Death is the Only Truth We Shall Receive

Well, back from Texas. Just watched 3 movies, so I thought I'd give brief opinions of them.

1) Elektra (or Electra or whatever. I really don't care.)

This could have been a fun little flick, but it was full of flashbacks and numerous emotional scenes for Jennifer Garner to prove herself as an actress. Seriously, this is a super-heroine flick. Quit crying and start kicking ass. The action was filmed well, but you had to wait years for anything to happen.

2) Versus
I think I have seen the almost perfect film. Made just for me. Sword-play, gun-play, martial arts, zombies, a guy kicking ass in a trench-coat, and gore. Holy shit. I was in heaven. And humor, as well. This movie hit it all. The only thing it lacked, to make it perfect, was a naked Asian chick. It's Japanese, so there ARE Asian women, but no breasts. Damn. Other than that, it's a flick that just throws everything into one big mess that somehow makes sense. A great party flick.

It's obvious that is was shot on a minimal budget, but the camera work is top-notch and the FX are low-grade but effective. The lead is an Asian Johnny Depp and there's one character who reminded me of Jeffrey Combs in The Frighteners (which has a special edition out now or soon, btw).

I highly recommend this. It's fun.

3) Speaking of Jeffrey Combs.... I just watched Re-Animator for about the thousandth time. I got the uber-edition (Yes, I used the word "uber"). What a well paced, plotted and acted film. It's also one of the darkest humor laced films I've ever seen. If you've never seen it, you are missing out on a milestone in horror and film history. It received great reviews from Ebert and (this is a total shocker) Pauline Kiel. It made many Top 10 lists of many critics back in 1985. And it still holds up as great entertainment. One of the best H.P. Lovecraft flicks ever made. Seek it out or come over and watch it with me.

Nix says: What a day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Quilled One said...

Hey...! Uber is MY word! If anyone uses the word uber, I'm going to be very angry. VERY angry.

Gurfly umpff umpff OOOOOOOOOOO paintball! urmpff *drool* oompff mumble mumble Milstadt mumpfle umpff OOOOOOOOOO bald baby! Ooompf!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home