Friday, January 27, 2006

Boo, Indeed.

Well, let me start with this: It was slightly better than I expected but much worse than I would have liked.

I'm speaking of "Boo". A film I just finished and wish I hadn't. There were other things I could have done with my time that would have been more productive. For instance, I could have watched more behind the scenes regarding Cronenberg's "The Fly" an immensely better crafted film.

Who's responsible for this film? One Anthony C. Ferrante. He's worked for years writing for Fangoria and (before the censorship issues) Gorezone. The guy know his horror and should by all rights have made a horror film for horror fans. What the fuck went wrong, then?

First, the good. He wrote and directed the thing and obviously wanted to take it in a certain direction. Apparently that is the "House on Haunted Hill" and "Session 9" direction. Hey, no complaints from me. I love both of those flicks. But then remove all of the fun elements and you get "Boo".

Some nice shots, a few creepy moments and some ok gore. Add to that, these things, and tell me what you'll come up with: Terrible dialogue, shit acting and a shoddy script. Yes, you've got crap. I'm glad you're good with math.

Plot: There's a plot? Sorta. Some kids go to an abandoned hospital for Halloween and there's some pissed ghosts. That's it. Aside from the blaxploitation actor who's now a cop and the son of his old partner.....Really, it's totally pointless.

For the first half of the film, I kept wanting to know what in the hell was going on. Why is there a pissed off ghost or ghosts? Why? Can I buy a fucking vowel? For the last half, I was begging the movie to STOP telling me why there was a pissed off ghost. It was freakin' awful.

Terrible dialogue. Abso-fucking-lutely terrible.

There was only one decent actor and they fucking killed him. I guess that was supposed to be "daring" and "unexpected". But as soon as I saw that his injury was identical to the one good character in Jason vs.........Sorry. Freddy vs. Jason, I knew he was toast and I was no longer invested in his character.

"Boo" is a film based on a setting. A location. An already "creepy" location. Hence the "Session 9" reference. But where "Session 9" utilized its intrinsically disturbing background, "Boo" fails utterly to bring the reality into the fiction. Sure, things are filmed nicely and the sound-design started off well (the last 15 minutes of ghost dialogue was shit). But overall it was a cut rate rip-off of films that did it better.

If you've got nothing better to do, it's worth a Netflix rental. But don't buy the fucker. I have faith that Mr. Ferrante can do better. I just think he needs to leave the writing to someone else.

Nix says: But that redhead was fucking hot!!!

Oh, and everyone keeps asking me where I found the quote in my previous post. It's not a "quote". That's me. That was just something I blurted out off the top of my head. Perhaps I should copyright it, as everyone seems to think it's from a book, or something.

1 Comments:

Blogger DelorumRex said...

aftermath / genisis.. yikes!
My wife hated it..
Cool!

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home