Saturday, October 29, 2005

Crash And Burn

Well, here's a less personal post. We're gonna talk film.

For those of you that don't really know me, movies are my life.

For some reason, I'm thinking about this not quite good flick from the early 90's.

Robot Jox.

Seen it? I know it's been on cable, recently, which is probably why it's stuck in my head. Before we discuss the movie, a little film history for you.

The 80's were very kind to low-budget, independent filmmakers. You could actually get your movie released into the theater. Especially horror movies. Re-Animator is an amazing success story. It killed at the box-office, became a cult favorite and definitely helped Stuart Gordon's career. The guy wrote Honey, I Shrunk The Kids and would have directed, as well, but health issues interfered. And let's not forget Evil Dead I and II. Release unrated, for fuck's sake.

This brings us up to the early 90's. The major studios are making horror, again and the little guy has been pushed almost completely out of the theaters. Sure, occasionally Night of the Demons will slip in, but it is a rarity.

Charles Band's Empire Pictures was responsible for some of the good stuff, like Re-Animator and From Beyond. (Sadly, now all he makes is retarded movies about killer puppets and dolls. WTF?) Empire had been working on a Transformers rip-off for some time. Stuart Gordon was directing and the FX were being done old-school stop-motion style. They completed it and it actually played in theaters, which is where I caught it. It was not that good as a whole, but had plenty of positive aspects. One, of course, was the FX by David Allen (I think.). There's something about stop-motion that brings a sense of "realism" to giant robots. (I know, that sounds contradictory.)

Anyway, the story is kinda interesting, as well. It's after WWIII and humans have abandoned warfare with bombs. Now they get inside giant robots and fight in an outdoor arena to decide who gets what continent and whatnot.

The movie really stretches its budget to the limit and does an admirable job at it.

Of course, we're really here for the robot battles and they do not disappoint. They have nifty weapons and at one point go flying around and turn into tanks and shit. Right the fuck on!

You can giggle at some of it's inadequecies, but overall, if you're a sci-fi, Transformers or Mech fan, you'll have a good time.

What's funny is that to wish eachother luck, they say "Crash and burn". It sounds cool, and all, but when you're about to go battle it out in giant robots crashing and/or burning doesn't seem like a good thing. But I digress...

Nix says: 4) You have to watch it.

1 Comments:

Blogger DelorumRex said...

I remember that movie! Damn, I have not thought of it in years.. I remember some of my D&D playing friends went to playing Mecs after seeing it.. (Okay that was a dork moment).

Well 48 hours of sleep over the weekend, and I feel better.. it is haloween and I plan to scare the shit out of some little gholes adn goblins at my homestead.. that always proves to be good for a giggle or two.

I think I will rent reanimator this week, just for old times sake..

Nix you're a genius

DeRex says " Yabos, Yabos, Here's to your fuck!"

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home